The restaurant industry has irreversibly changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Traditional strategies for driving additional revenue in your restaurant such as new menus items, events, catering, or pop-ups have been displaced by changed consumer habits, regulatory guidelines, and dine-in restrictions.
While this rapid change has led to a number of restaurants closing up permanently it has also given rise to a host of new and exciting opportunities for restaurants to make money and grow their business during uncertain times.
To help restaurants thrive and adapt, the 7shifts team brought together a number of industry thought-leaders to share how they have adapted their operations to capitalize on the new opportunities in the market. Panelists included:
– Jordan Boesch, 7shifts CEO
– Hayley Thayer, Growth Marketing Manager at ChowNow
– Amy Nhan, People & Culture Manager at Fresh Restaurants
– Phil Petrilli, CEO at Taïm Falafel
The panel, which you can watch below, touched on a number of important topics for restaurateurs to consider, including:
- The growth and importance of pickup, takeout, and delivery
- The corresponding growth of dedicated delivery roles in restaurant teams
- Leveraging social media for incremental revenue
- The importance of "claiming your online identity" to drive online orders
Watch now 👇
During the panel there were a number of polls shared with the audience to get feedback on how real restaurateurs have adapted their own operations. The results of these polls – based on the feedback of 60+ restaurateurs – are as follows:
What’s the sentiment of your customers about going back to restaurants?
- Most customers are ready to go back and will follow protocols 21%
- Most customers are ready to go back but will NOT follow protocols 76%
- Most customers are still NOT ready to go back to restaurants 3%
What ordering and delivery channels have you implemented in your restaurant?
- Web/app ordering 69%
- Social media ordering 15%
- Phone ordering 41%
- Curb side pickup and takeout 74%
- Contactless dine-in 26%
- Delivery marketplace 15%
I’d be more interested in acquiring technology that helps me with:
- Managing my team 0%
- Streamlining operations and reducing costs 37%
- Promoting my restaurant and boosting sales 33%
- Website/app ordering 26%
- Placing orders through the phone 4%
- Ordering at counter 0%
- Implementing Drive Thru 0%
💡📫 Interested in getting more restaurant industry insights? Check out the 7shifts Restaurant Industry Data Portal, which includes real-time insights on the state of sales and labor across North America. Or, sign up for the 7shifts Food Runner 🛎️ – a bi-weekly email digest of the most important stories affecting restaurateurs right now.
Simple to set up, easy to use. Give your restaurant the team management tools they need to be successful. Start your free trial today.
Start free trial
No credit card required